Thursday, October 31, 2013

Recovering a Classic




For the next GD project I'm going to tackle one of my favorite books, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I've loved this book since I discovered it back in 1995, and I've always hated the cover, so it's a logical choice. The first image is of the cover of the first copy that I owned, very retro. I've never liked the way that hand looks, so chunky and bulbous. Ugh. And even though that crazy looking green planet has always been on various covers for years (see the second image as well) I've never liked it! So in my version, it's definitely going bye-bye.

The third and fourth covers are much better. The third takes a prominent line from the book, "Don't Panic," and makes it the focus of the cover. The choice of font and colors work well together - bold, playful choices. And the simplified planet and thumb icon that was created looks fantastic. It's a subtle wink to earlier covers with a more modern and updated feel. The fourth cover is a fan-made version, and while it doesn't feel professional or complete, I like the idea of it. The whale and bowl of petunias, while a very minor point in the book, do well to represent the fun randomness of the story as a whole.

I have a few ideas in mind, mostly involving towels and alcohol right now. If you haven't read the book, that last sentence probably sounds a bit odd. I also like the idea of using the whale and petunias somehow, or perhaps a wrecking ball. I'll do some concept sketches and post them here for feedback, so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment